I’m going to go forward and assume that a variety of you might be sports activities followers. “Actual” sports activities, that’s. I would like you to consider crew sports activities for a second.
In each crew sports activities league, there are gamers and/or coaches who might be seen as “heels” of some type. Possibly they’re cocky and love to speak the speak earlier than and after they stroll the stroll. Maybe they’re simply too good, successful on a regular basis, and also you get sick of seeing it from a distance. Possibly they’re not-so-decent off the sphere/court docket (authorized points, and so forth.) and that carries over into their jobs. It could be as a result of they’re seen as a “soiled” participant. No matter it’s, you in all probability have a prolonged listing of athletes that you just hate in a given sport.
Admittedly, it’s to a far lesser extent, however that’s additionally one thing you see in professional wrestling. You’ll have followers of 1 “crew” who look throughout the battlefield and see members of a rival “crew” that they dislike for a number of the aforementioned causes I discussed earlier.
It has occurred by a number of eras in wrestling historical past. Within the present day, you’ll see some WWE followers have the benefit of speaking trash about sure AEW wrestlers, and the identical goes for some AEW followers talking about sure WWE wrestlers. We’ve seen it between followers of WWE and TNA/Impression. It rattling certain occurred between followers of the WWF, WCW, and ECW throughout the 90’s. In case you return even additional, you may have situations of it occurring between followers of the WWF and the NWA.
Proper now, I wish to discuss this present phenomenon, however the way it isn’t simply occurring with wrestlers on an organization’s roster. No, it’s additionally occurring even additional up the chain. As a matter of truth, it’s occurring proper there, smack dab on the prime of the chain.
Two very, VERY polarizing figures.
Vince definitely will get his justifiable share of venom from followers everywhere in the world, however there are a pair main issues that differentiate him from Tony Khan in the case of what we’re speaking about right this moment. One, he even will get hate from a variety of WWE supporters for lots of the selections he makes. Two, in case you catch some diehard AEW followers in a second of honesty, they may give Vince loads of reward for what he has finished by the years to assist make all of us followers of this wacky world of professional wrestling, both instantly or not directly.
Tony Khan has actually finished loads to position himself within the crosshairs since AEW first received began. How a lot of his hate is warranted?
In the beginning, the person completely likes to make main bulletins. It looks like he makes an announcement each week that he has one other announcement arising quickly. A few of them are usually accepted as “wins” by followers, whereas others didn’t fairly appear to dwell as much as the hype. Effectively, that’s the opinion of some followers, anyway. In case you ask TK, he’s hitting a house run each single time he steps to the plate, and each main announcement is greater and higher than the one earlier than it.
Khan’s detractors like to level out how a lot they hate the bulletins. It’s simply one thing that we’re not used to seeing. Khan is way more fan-friendly than Vince McMahon has ever been. Even when Vince was an on-screen face character, it’s not like he was hopping on social media and hyping up a model new signing that may be making their debut on subsequent week’s episode of Monday Evening Uncooked. Certain, a variety of that has to do with the truth that Vince was 137 years previous when social media first turned a factor, however my level stays. Even going again to Paul Heyman and ECW, you continue to don’t see the issues that Tony Khan is doing. The ECW fan base checked out Heyman as a God, and he liked to present the “rah-rah” speeches to everybody, however all these bulletins and hints at main doings on upcoming exhibits? Nope.
Do I benefit from the fixed promotion on social media by Tony Khan? No, I don’t. It’s far too “LOOK AT ME! LOOK AT ME! OVER HERE! LOOK AT ME!” for my liking, however hey, I perceive it. AEW continues to be, for all intents and functions, a model new firm. The corporate’s tv viewership numbers are a little bit of a blended bag. To this point in 2022, Dynamite’s numbers are averaging about 100,000 greater than the present’s 2021 common, however on the similar time, Rampage’s numbers are down about 100,000 from the present’s 2021 common. It is sensible that TK would attempt to use no matter instruments he has at his disposal to try to get increasingly more eyeballs on the AEW product. I simply occur to be of the considering that good writing and good motion can be a much better promoting level than the CEO of the corporate tweeting about it.
The extra I hold serious about it, the extra it disappoints me that Tony Khan can’t be a viable on-screen character. He’s so liked by the AEW followers that he may simply flip that into being a big-time face on-camera. Sadly for him, he feels like a combination of a kid going by puberty and Bernie Sanders after a cocaine bender. That just about places the kibosh (or no less than it actually ought to) on him ever being any kind of on-screen “Mr. Khan” kind of character, face or heel. It’s a disgrace, actually. As I mentioned, he would simply be a significant face character due to how a lot the AEW followers love him. Nonetheless, as a result of that is professional wrestling we’re speaking about, that face character may, definitely, grow to be one of many greatest heels in AEW historical past, too. He’s very simple to hate, as anybody who’s on social media today can agree with.
I hold going again to the “I don’t prefer it, however I perceive” level I made earlier. AEW nonetheless wants all of the promotion it might probably get, and Tony Khan has determined to take it upon himself to shoulder the load there. It’s loopy to match him to Vince McMahon in that side. Vince McMahon doesn’t appear to present one single iota of a fuck about selling WWE.
Sure, I already know what you’re considering. Stick with me, although.
Vince is in his personal bubble, and has been for an extended, very long time. He’s caught on this planet of character creation, matchmaking, and placing the episodes of Uncooked and Smackdown collectively. Sure, for higher or worse. Now, does that imply WWE will get no promotion as a result of the large boss isn’t huge on that? Clearly not. WWE continues to be the largest wrestling promotion on the planet, making extra money now than they’ve ever made earlier than. Nonetheless, you already know Vince has nothing to do with that. He has a “crew” for that. That individual crew is led by none apart from “Daddy’s Little Woman” today. That’s proper… Stephanie McMahon. As WWE’s Chief Model Officer, Steph is accountable for the whole lot involving the corporate’s picture, advertising, and promoting. Mainstream celebrities like Dangerous Bunny, Logan Paul, and Johnny Knoxville doing work in WWE? Steph’s palms are throughout that. No matter new toys that WWE has in shops equivalent to WalMart, Goal, and on Amazon? Steph once more. Campaigns and work with charities like Make-A-Want, The Particular Olympics, UNICEF, March Of Dimes, Woman Up, Susan G. Komen, and quite a few others? As soon as once more… Steph. Nonetheless, even in the case of Steph, a variety of her work is behind-the-scenes. A fast browse of Steph’s Twitter account doesn’t precisely flip up a variety of “OMG TUNE IN TO RAW THIS WEEK FOR A HUGE ANNOUNCEMENT” tweets. She actually is like her dad in so some ways.
Vince’s insular considering is what helps to make Tony Khan stand out even additional. Compared to Vince, TK would possibly as effectively be going door-to-door and stapling fliers to our foreheads and screaming at us to look at Dynamite and Rampage whereas he does it.
I’m unsure that I’ll ever be an enormous fan of what Tony Khan does on social media. Within the grand scheme of issues, that definitely doesn’t matter. He’s not going to cease. It appears to be wired in his DNA. We may quick ahead to a degree in time the place AEW is the highest firm within the wrestling enterprise, with each of their tv exhibits bringing in 4 or 5 million viewers each week, and I’m considering TK would nonetheless be on Twitter selling one other big announcement on Dynamite, which might find yourself being the debut of Joe Anoa’i, two weeks after Bronson Steiner debuted on Rampage, and three weeks after Bianca Blair debuted at Double Or Nothing, giving AEW a brand new whole of 1,259 contracted wrestlers on their roster.
Tony Khan is as polarizing because it will get. You’ll infrequently discover a wrestling fan that doesn’t actually have an opinion on him. You’re both going to get followers who LOVE him and his antics, or who HATE him and his antics. Now, I wish to know what you people on the market in ReaderLand suppose. Inform me how you’re feeling about Tony Khan. Do you want his bulletins and hyping up AEW exhibits? How do you’re feeling about his reserving selections? What do you consider his vogue sense? I simply wish to know your opinions about Tony Khan. As at all times, hit me up within the feedback part under, or on Twitter (@HustleTheSavage), and let me know what’s in your thoughts.
Weekly Energy Rankings
- Minoru Suzuki vs Samoa Joe: Each little bit of the bodily contest that it wanted to be. It’s nonetheless bizarre as hell to see Suzuki wrestling on North American tv, however there he’s, nonetheless destroying individuals’s chests at practically 54 years previous. Joe was greater than only a sparring companion right here, as he was capable of ship a extra bodily fashion than we’ve seen from him shortly. Actually, actually good things right here. Let’s simply overlook the whole lot that occurred after the match, although.
- “Hangman” Adam Web page vs Adam Cole: I’m not a type of individuals who is saying Adam Cole is “buried” or is being “wasted” in AEW. What I’ll say, although, is Cole turns into the most recent in an extended line of latest AEW signees that observe a sample of successful all of their “lesser” matches after which shedding all of their “greater” matches. As of proper now, Cole has wrestled 16 singles matches since becoming a member of AEW. Solely two of these matches have taken place on YouTube, so the corporate clearly appears to be treating him as some kind of an enormous deal. In these 16 matches, he has three losses… two AEW World Title pictures and a loss that, technically, isn’t a loss in any respect in a Lights Out Match in opposition to Orange Cassidy. Once more, these three matches are the largest ones he’s participated in. It simply appears bizarre to me, and it’s one thing that AEW must be cautious about shifting ahead, not simply with Cole, however with lots of people.
- Santos Escobar vs Carmelo Hayes: Barring a name as much as Uncooked or Smackdown, Carmelo Hayes is a future NXT Champion. I don’t suppose that’s precisely a stretch. Santos Escobar is somebody who’s greater than gifted sufficient to be an NXT Champion, as effectively. The issue with him is that he’s going to be 38 years previous in per week or so. He’s far much less the “future” than the 27-year-old Hayes is. Escobar can be taking a variety of losses today. Since he misplaced the NXT Cruiserweight Title on April thirteenth of final 12 months, he has had 5 completely different matches the place a title was on the road, and he has misplaced all 5 of them. I’m not offered on him holding any kind of title in NXT once more, however possibly… simply possibly… he gained’t be in NXT for much longer. He’s greater than prepared for a foremost roster run, in my view.
- Finn Balor vs Idea: One of many weirdest issues I’ve seen in a very long time was the post-match right here, with a bunch of heels on the Uncooked roster popping out to congratulate Idea on his United States Title win and have a good time with him. We’ve seen that 1,000,000 occasions with faces after their title wins by the years, however with heels? That was completely different. I preferred it. Idea goes to be a WWE/Common Champion sooner or later. It’s only a matter of when. As I’ve mentioned 1,000,000 occasions earlier than, Vince McMahon was going to fall in love with him, and it seems he has.
- Scorpio Sky vs Sammy Guevara: Sammy gained the TNT Title for the primary time rather less than seven months in the past. Within the time since, the title went to Cody Rhodes, then to Sammy once more on an interim foundation, then to Sammy on an undisputed foundation, then to Scorpio Sky, and now, again to Sammy once more. That’s too many total reigns. The title historical past isn’t even at two years but, and we’ve seen ten reigns, and it’s 11 in case you depend Sammy’s interim reign. We’re not fairly at “scorching potato” standing just like the WCW World Title in 2000, when the belt switched a whopping 25 occasions, together with being vacated six complete occasions. I simply wish to see some extra stability right here. With Sammy seemingly in the course of a heel flip, possibly we might be seeing that. Possibly. Presumably. I’ve jinxed the title historical past earlier than, and now that I’ve talked about this once more, search for somebody like Wheeler Yuta or Eddie Kingston to grow to be the brand new champion earlier than Double Or Nothing subsequent month.
- Jurassic Categorical vs Bobby Fish & Kyle O’Reilly: This isn’t a knock on Jungle Boy and Luchasaurus, however despite the fact that they’re the AEW Tag Workforce Champions, you would make the argument that they’re the fifth or sixth “greatest” tag crew on the roster, and might be even decrease than that in case you put collectively groups of singles wrestlers. God forbid AEW brings in additional groups like The Briscoes. That’s insane. I do know I wasn’t alone in considering that they have been going to drop the titles right here, partly due to what I discussed, but in addition partly because of the thought of Fish and O’Reilly successful the Tag Workforce Titles in the identical week that Adam Cole gained the World Title. Their reign continues on, although.
- Kushida: I’m not a type of “everybody who escapes the sinking ship that’s WWE enormously advantages from the transfer” guys. That’s clearly not the case if you have a look at everybody who isn’t with WWE anymore. Nonetheless, with Kushida, I feel he positively advantages from leaving the corporate after having his contract expire. He’s one of many biggest Junior Heavyweight wrestlers of this technology, and he seemed like he may’ve been one thing particular in NXT… after which they modified “administration” and shifted to a distinct on-screen product. Placing him within the idiotic Jacket Time crew with Ikemen Jiro was a horrible thought and the one that got here up with it ought to be slapped. From preliminary stories, the Jacket Time pairing is what led Kushida to need out, and now, it looks like a return to New Japan is probably going. He was being wasted in NXT 2.0, so he’s in all probability going to come back out as a winner wherever he lands as compared.
- Lacey Evans’ Video Bundle: One other week, one other good video package deal that coated her life and historical past. We’re not even Lacey Evans right here. As an alternative, we’re seeing video packages for the lady behind the character, and that was sorely wanted.
- Keith Lee & Swerve Strickland vs Ricky Starks & Powerhouse Hobbs: I discussed this briefly when speaking about Jurassic Categorical and their “spot” in AEW, however these are two groups who I may simply see competing for the Tag Workforce Titles a lot prior to later. I’m not saying they WILL, and even that they SHOULD. Nonetheless, it wouldn’t be the worst thought on this planet for both pairing, particularly with the singles roster changing into so crowded, and extra so by the week.
- Rhea Ripley: It was a heel flip that all of us noticed coming from ten miles away, however it was sorely wanted for her. With their historical past collectively, there may be cash to be made in a correct feud between Bianca Belair and Rhea Ripley over the Uncooked Ladies’s Title.
- Cody Rhodes vs Kevin Owens: Cody definitely appears to have acclimated to the WWE scene as soon as once more. The WWE Universe appears to be totally behind him, too. Will a WWE Title reign… or a Common Title reign, or each, or a newly created reign, or regardless of the fuck Vince McMahon decides he desires to do with the primary occasion scene in WWE… be coming quickly? It would.
- Fairly Lethal vs Dexter Lumis & Duke Hudson: I didn’t know what to anticipate with this clusterfuck of characters and types, however I used to be pleasantly stunned. I’m nonetheless not eager to see Lumis and Hudson as a crew on a full-time foundation, however they carried out effectively collectively right here, and that’s what issues.
- Rhea Ripley vs Naomi: There’s simply one thing about new champions shedding each kind of non-title match they take part in that appears to make Vince McMahon’s dick twitch. Regardless that she took the loss, this was one other enjoyable match from Naomi, who’s on the most popular in-ring streak of her profession proper now. Alternatively, Rhea wanted the win, particularly with the heel flip that was to come back, to indicate that she could be a main participant as soon as once more.
- CM Punk vs Penta Oscuro: That is only a wild and loopy thought, however possibly… simply possibly… CM Punk ought to keep on with the mat-based wrestling stuff any further. He would possibly nonetheless be rusty after being away for thus lengthy, however he has had a pair ugly moments in AEW when he decides to go to the highest rope or take further dangers. Aside from that bizarre spot, this was a superb match, so no less than there’s that.
- Roxanne Perez: Whereas it wasn’t a lot of a match, she nonetheless gained her televised NXT debut. At solely 20 years previous, there’s a world of potential together with her. Will probably be attention-grabbing to see if she will be able to attain it.
This Week’s Playlist: “Moth To A Flame” by Swedish Home Mafia & The Weeknd… “Frankenstein” by Swedish Home Mafia & A$AP Rocky… “Lifetime” by Swedish Home Mafia, Ty Dolla $ign & 070 Shake… “AfterLife” by 5 Finger Loss of life Punch… “Operating Out Of Love” by Duke Deuce & Dante Smith… “Face Off” by DJ Kay Slay, Ghostface Killah & Scarface… “Angels Round Me” by DJ Kay Slay & G-Unit… “I’m Gone” by DJ Kay Slay, Eminem & Obie Trice… “Alphabetical Slaughter” by DJ Kay Slay & Papoose… “Drama” by DJ Kay Slay, Lil Jon, Bun B, David Banner & Child D… “Who Provides A Fuck The place You From” by DJ Kay Slay, Three 6 Mafia, Lil Wyte & Frayser Boy… “Census Bureau” by DJ Kay Slay & D12… “Untouchables” by DJ Kay Slay, Prodigy, Raekwon & AZ… “Colours” by Ice-T… “X.O. Wit Me” by Above The Legislation & Jayo Felony… “Sumner Days” by Above The Legislation… “Ain’t No Future In Yo’ Frontin” by MC Breed… “Pinch Me” by Barenaked Women… “Maintain The Line” by TOTO… “I May Fall In Love” by Selena… “Dreaming Of You” by Selena… “Cats In The Cradle” by Ugly Child Joe… “HUMBLE.” by Kendrick Lamar… “LOVE.” by Kendrick Lamar & Zacari… “Starboy” by The Weeknd & Daft Punk